Ooops, we did it again
Wherein a small crew on a low budget makes an HVX-200 look vastly better than it ever should.
By Art Adams | July 24, 2008
Recently I wrote of a wildly successful music video shoot I did with the HVX-200. Well, we did it again.
A few weeks ago I shot a music video project with director Jono Schaferkotter. The project turned out spectacularly well in spite of working with an eager, but inexperienced, crew and an HVX-200. Between picking shots that worked within the confines of what we could achieve with the gear we had, along with some basic color correction in Final Cut Studio using Magic Bullet Looks, the project looked much better than it had any right to, considering the budget was about $200.
Excited about the possibilities, Jono contacted me shortly thereafter about shooting a promo piece for a feature film script he was getting ready to pitch. Titled "Night Light," the movie will feature an ensemble cast, a number of rich looks, and some complex visual effects shots. The idea behind the promo was to capture "real people" interviews with five characters who had read the script and were excited about it: an actress who had landed the lead; a musician who was going to write the soundtrack; a studio executive who was interested in green-lighting the project; the art director; and the visual effects supervisor. Jono's instructions were clear: he didn't want to see anyone's face, and he wanted to accentuate the texture of the clothes. He wanted the shot to be mid-thigh to neck, with the idea that he would rotoscope animation onto the characters' bodies in post. He wanted each shot to be a still that might have been pulled from a magazine. And we had the same budget and equipment as our last go-round.
Our kit consisted of (1) Panasonic HVX-200 camera; (1) Firestore; (1) Arri kit containing 2x300w fresnels and 2x650w fresnels; a couple of extra light stands; a small selection of bounce cards; and my bag of tricks, containing a 6x6 light grid and a 6x6 full grid. Oh, and I brought a lawn chair.
We had five setups to do in 14 hours and in two different locations. We finished two hours early. I've included screen shots from each of the setups, along with lighting diagrams and behind-the-scenes photos (by our two still photographers) where available. Go to page two to see how we did it...
Get articles like this in your inbox: Sign Up