NAB 2013: Version 11 of Pro Tools finally cures its Achilles’ heel
Finally Pro Tools will be able to “bounce” and export quickly, instead of in real time.
By Allan Tépper | April 11, 2013
Forget about its brand-new engine, 64-bit architecture, and expanded metering. The most important improvement I see in the palindromic version 11 of Pro Tools is that with this update, the renowned audio editing tool from Avid will finally cure its Achilles’ heel. I am talking about its (up until version 10) prolonged “real time” bounce/export, which has prevented Pro Tools' acceptance among many time pressed editors of long-form applications, including audiobooks and audio podcasts. At the press conference at NAB 2013, an example given by Avid included a two-hour sequence exported from Pro Tools 11 in 48 seconds, instead of 120 minutes. Now Pro Tools will be able to compete in those situations with apps like Adobe Audition and Apple Logic.
Other features in Pro Tools 11:
- Fully redesigned audio engine and 64-bit architecture
- New Avid Audio Engine — Delivers multiple times the processing power of Pro Tools 10 on the same hardware configurations.
- 64-bit architecture — Exponentially increases the number of simultaneous virtual instruments and the performance to handle the most sophisticated sessions.
- Low-latency input buffer — Ensures ultra-low latency record monitoring without sacrificing plug-in performance.
- Dynamic host processing — Maximizes plug-in count by reallocating processing resources as needed.
- Expanded metering
- Extended standards support — Features a broad range of built-in metering standards, from peak and average to VU and PPM, to maintain adherence to regional broadcast requirements.
- Gain reduction — Shows gain reduction for all dynamics plug-ins on each channel.
- Direct HD video workflows
- Built-in Avid Video Engine — Enables audio post professionals to play and edit a wide range of HD video formats including Avid DNxHD, directly in the Pro Tools timeline without transcoding, using the same core engine as in Media Composer.
- Video interface support — Enables monitoring of DNxHD and QuickTime media through Avid Nitris DX, Avid Mojo DX, and other video interfaces from third parties which I have covered previously.
Avid says that Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools HD 11 will be available in the online Avid Store and at Avid resellers worldwide later in Q2 2013. They say that pricing will be as follows:
- Pro Tools 11 software (full version)— US$699
- Pro Tools 10 to 11 upgrade— $299
- Pro Tools 9 to 11 upgrade— $399
- Pro Tools Express to Pro Tools 11 cross grade— $499
- Pro Tools HD 10 to 11 upgrade— $599
- Pro Tools HD 9 to 11 upgrade— $999
Educational pricing wasn’t available at publication time. I hope to review Pro Tools 11 shortly after its release.
Upcoming articles and reviews
Stand by for upcoming articles and reviews. To make sure you continue to see my upcoming articles, sign up to my mailing list here.
My latest ebook
My most recent ebook is available in two languages. The format is Kindle, but even if you don’t have a Kindle device, you can read Kindle books on many other devices using a free Kindle app. That includes iPad, iPhone, Android phones, Android tablets, Mac computers, Windows computers, some Blackberry phones and Windows 7 phones.
In English, it is currently available in the following Amazon stores, depending upon your region:
- At Amazon.com (for all of the Americas and the Republic of India)
- Amazon.co.jp (Japan)
- Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom)
- Amazon.de (Germany)
- Amazon.es (Spain, pero a lo mejor lo prefieres en castellano, a continuación)
- Amazon.fr (France)
- Amazon.it (Italy)
If you’re going to buy a Kindle book as a gift, you must do so via the Pan-American Amazon store (the first one listed above), regardless of where you live or where the recipient lives.
En castellano, está disponible actualmente en las siguientes tiendas Amazon, según tu región:
- Amazon.com (todas las Américas y la República de la India)
- Amazon.co.jp (Japón)
- Amazon.co.uk (Reino Unido)
- Amazon.de (Alemania)
- Amazon.es (España)
- Amazon.fr (Francia)
- Amazon.it (Italia)
Si vas a comprar un libro Kindle como regalo, debes hacerlo vía la tienda panamericana de Amazon (la primera de la lista) sin importar donde vivas tú o donde viva la persona que recibirá el regalo.
Allan Tépper’s books, consulting, articles, seminars & audio programsContact Allan Tépper for consulting, or find a full listing of his books, articles and upcoming seminars and webinars at AllanTepper.com. Listen to his TecnoTur program, which is now available both in Castilian (aka "Spanish") and in English, free of charge. Search for TecnoTur in iTunes or visit TecnoTur.us for more information.
Disclosure, to comply with the FTC’s rulesNo manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Many of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs.
Copyright and use of this articleThe articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalition magazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!
Get articles like this in your inbox: Sign Up