Blackmagic Design Announces UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt Technology
UltraStudio 4K will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design IBC 2012 booth in Hall 7, Booth H20
By PVC News Staff | September 07, 2012
Blackmagic Design today announced UltraStudio 4K, an attractively designed rack mount capture and playback device based on Thunderboltâ¢ technology developed by Intel® with collaboration from Apple®. UltraStudio 4K features full resolution 4K support, dual stream 3D capture/playback, 10bit hardware architecture, dual link 3 Gb/s SDI, support for up to 1080p60 in SDI,component analog and HDMI connections which support full SD, HD, and 4K , for only US$1,295.
UltraStudio 4K will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design IBC 2012 booth in Hall 7, Booth H20.
UltraStudio 4K is a single rack unit design with a wide range of rear connectors. The front panel is a machined aluminum design that features an integrated color LCD as well as fast to use video and audio input buttons. UltraStudio 4K is attractive so it's perfect for desktop as well as rack mount use. The power supply is built in so no need for an external plug pack, and the rear panel includes virtually every type of video and audio connection that exists using standard connectors. UltraStudio 4K can take advantage of long Thunderbolt cables that can be up to 30 meters away from the host computer.
Thunderbolt technology enables UltraStudio 4K to offer high enough speed for true 4K playback which is 4 times the resolution of regular HD 1080 video. The product includes Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI, HDMI and analog component/s-video/composite, as well as balanced analog and AES/EBU digital audio capture and playback. UltraStudio 4K is perfect for 3D workflow as it features both interleaved/side by side and dual stream capture and playback. Interleaved 3D allows the left and right eye to be interleaved as fields into a single video connection and file, so customers can edit using current editing software.
UltraStudio 4K includes the latest advanced video technologies available. The built in Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI operates at 4 times the speed of a regular HD-SDI connection. UltraStudio 4K uses this speed for higher quality full color resolution 4:4:4 video as well as high video frame rates up to 1080p60. The built in Dual Link SDI connections allows dual stream 3D where capture and playback is done via two independent channels. The Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI also allows a new video standard for handling 4:2:2 4K playback for monitoring and is fully compatible with the Blackmagic Design Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 4K and Mini Converter SDI Multiplex products. Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI allows 4K using only 2 BNC cables, instead of the 4 BNC cables required in the past.
With SDI, HDMI and analog video capture and playback, combined with balanced analog and AES/EBU digital audio, UltraStudio 4K lets customers connect to all decks, cameras and monitors! UltraStudio 4K instantly switches between SD, HD, 2K and 4K, so is the ideal solution for all post production and broadcast users when working on design, editing, paint, color correction and effects tasks.
"We are excited to be able to design new types of products that are only made possible because of Thunderbolt technology. This new "break out box" based design is extremely attractive while supporting new high resolution 4K playback and almost every video and audio connection available!" said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "UltraStudio 4K is the best way to get high resolution 4K, advanced 3D and 4:4:4 capture and playback, in a professional rack based design that everyone can afford."
UltraStudio 4K Key Features
- Dual Link 3G SDI (3 Gb/s SDI) connections, supports SD, HD up to 1080p60, 2K and 4K.
- SDI inputs include full SDI re-clocking for capture from poor quality SDI sources.
- HDMI in and out, supports SD and HD formats up to 1080p60, frame packing 3D and 4K.
- Component analog in and out.
- Component analog switches to s-video and composite.
- 2 channel balanced analog audio in and out. Additional RCA HiFi audio in.
- 2 channel AES/EBU unbalanced audio in and out.
- Timecode in and out on XLR connectors
- Genlock/tri-sync input.
- Sonyâ¢ compatible RS-422 deck control.
- Supports uncompressed 810 bit and compressed video capture and playback.
- Supports 4K playback using new Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI connections and HDMI.
- Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and frame packing 3D via HDMI.
- Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and dual stream 3D via SDI.
- Includes hardware up down and cross conversion on playback.
- Includes hardware SD and HD keying.
- Compatible with Mac OS X computers with Thunderboltâ¢.
- Supports Final Cut Pro X , Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS6, Adobe® Photoshop® CS6, Adobe ® After Effects® CS6 , DaVinci Resolve 9 and more.
- Includes free developer SDK.
- Includes free DaVinci Resolve Lite and Media Express capture and playback software.
Availability and Price
UltraStudio 4K will be available in November for US$1,295 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.
About Blackmagic Design
Blackmagic Design creates the world's highest quality video editing products, digital film cameras, color correctors, video converters, video monitoring, routers, live production switchers, waveform monitors and film restoration software for the feature film, post production and television broadcast industries. Blackmagic Design's DeckLink capture cards launched a revolution in quality and affordability, while the company's DaVinci Emmyâ¢ award winning color correction products have dominated the television and film industry since 1984. Blackmagic Design continues ground breaking innovations including stereoscopic 3D and 4K workflows. Founded by world leading post production editors and engineers, Blackmagic Design has offices in the USA, UK, Japan, Singapore, and Australia. For more information, please check www.blackmagicdesign.com.
Get articles like this in your inbox: Sign Up