Light leaks, free lensing, and lens wacking
By Rich Young | March 01, 2012
Lens wacking, free lensing, or the detached lens effect and light leaks have been well-covered lately. For many, it's enough already, but here's a collection of resources for creating your own, downloading free or stock footage, and using the effect:
- Freelensing by Luke Roberts illustrated the basics (pictured: adding a light to the wack).
- In "Lens Wacking" to Create Video Flares, Chris Meyer noted Lens Wacking - detaching your lens for interesting video flare by Planet5D. Chris also mentions that your sensor may get dirty doing this and may require factory servicing. A Lensbaby could be a lowish-cost alternative if you are after just tilt-shift.
- TimotsproductionBTS put together a free set of 40 Film Burns and Light Leaks.
- Lester Banks noted some stock footage from VFX Footage. There's also 10 Unique Light Leaks and Flares, from VFX Bro. Motion Design references these and more in A collection of light leaks/film burns. Gorilla Grain also offers Free Film Grain and Film Burns!
- FreshDV notes light leaks from Edit With Light (5D Leaks, 4K Leaks, +) and by Artbeats, as well as how to composite them, in 5 Simple Steps to Make your Own Light Leaks.
- In Red Giant Quicktip #17: Old Film Look, "Aharon Rabinowitz shows you how to create an old film look with light leaks. He'll be using Trapcode Particular to create the light leaks, and the tools in Magic Bullet Looks to create the look of old damaged footage."
- JaxnEntertainment posted a similar tutorial but using CC Particle World, which is built into After Effects, Light Leaks Tutorial (after effects).
- There's also Light Leaks from Luca Visual Fx, a Mac Fx Plug that generates them (it works in apps like After Effects through FxFactory 3.0, which was just released). Genarts Monsters GT also has leaks filters, as does CrumplePop in their FCP X offerings ColorKit Suite and Red Giant Carousel.
- VinhSon Nguyen of Creative Dojo has 16 1080p HD clips in a Free Light Leaks Pack.
- Clay Asbury discussed Using Light Leaks as Transitions/Washes, and later noted 5 sites offering 1080 to 4K footage to Enhance your Video Editing Projects with Light Leaks and Film Grain.
- [update] Vimeo Film School added The Art of Lens Whacking by Riley Hooper.
- [update] Film Riot discussed Lens Whacking & Masters in Motion.
- [update] Brandon Creative showed how to Fake Light Leaks in After Effects, and Pen to Film posted Making old style Light Leaks in After Effects.
- [update] Light Leak Love posted Free Light Leak Effects - Light Free!
- Vashi Visuals collected a list of 121 Free Film Grain & Light Leaks for Film & Video Editors (many mentioned here).
- Brandon Johnston shows how to Fake Light Leaks in After Effects.
Somewhat related info can be found in Lens Flares in After Effects: A mini-roundup by Rich Young. Here's an older overview on the effects, the Free lensing / Lens wacking guide by Chung Dha and a newer demo from Film Riot:
Get articles like this in your inbox: Sign Up