Sky Replacement with After Effects & Premiere
A mini-roundup of tutorials [updated]
By Rich Young | June 19, 2011
There are of course several approaches to doing sky replacements in After Effects and Premiere Pro. Here's a few explained in tutorials by Kert Gartner, Film Riot, Mohamed Hafeez, Andrew Kramer (pictured), Carl Larsen, Mark Christiansen, Nick Campbell, Michele Yamazaki, and even a course from Chris Kenworthy.
Tuts+ has an April 2014 mini-course on the topic, Sky Replacement Techniques in After Effects with Christopher Kenworthy (see his earlier one too). Here are the first 2 movies:
Also new in 2014 is a comparative tutorial by Michele Yamazaki, Quick Sky Replacement, which demoes plug-ins from CoreMelt, Video Copilot, Boris FX, Red Giant, SUGARfx, and Imagineer:
Most of the earlier tutorials were done with older features, and the task often didn't require much work, so the methods used vary in difficulty.
How to do a Sky Replacement with Adobe After Effects CS5 by Vfx Haiku (Kurt Garten) looked at "how to do a complex sky replacement with Adobe After Effects CS5. We take a look at a variety of tools, including Tracking, Displacement maps, exposure, Refine Matte, Edge Blur, Colour Correction with Curves, and applying a vignette."
Tutorials for sky replacement include these:
- Film Riot was quick & enetertaining Sky Replacement & Film Terms!
- Better Balcony Backdrops on compositing and sky replacement by Mohamed Hafeez
- Video tutorial: Replace a dull sky in After Effects from Chris Kenworthy (see his course at bottom)
- RampanTV discusses Quick Sky Replacement using Mocha for After Effects (missing in 2014)
- Horizon replacement using Mocha for After Effects v2 by Carl Larsen
- After Effects Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques by Mark Christiansen (excerpt)
- Simple Sky Replacement in Photoshop by Nick Campbell, below.
- Advanced Sky Replacement by Andrew Kramer (below but better at VCP) (plus an older one)
Later, many more appeared. Here's just a few, including one done in Premiere Pro:
- BakersTuts posted After Effects Tutorial: Sky Replacement
- How to do Sky Replacement in After Effects tutorial (2 ways with tips) by Gianflavio Gordillo
- Josh Weiss posted Premiere Pro CS6 - Sky Replacement using Warp Stabilizer, Three Way Color Corrector, Adjustment Layers & More
Note that this roundup is for quick review and comparison. There is almost always extra vital information from the originating authors at the links provided -- and often free presets, plug-ins, or stock footage too.
Get articles like this in your inbox: Sign Up